[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime up for pre-order at Amazon

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon May 2 16:58:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> These copy protection flags are the same ones that restrict users
> presently recording shows over firewire.

I don't believe that is correct. I am pretty sure that Firewire's
Digital Transmission Content Protection and Cablecard's Copy Control
Information schemes are separate schemes that don't necessarily match
up. If you have a cablecard-based cable box, then it could possibly
generate the firewire setup based on what cablecard CCI flags are set
(not sure if that would depend on the cable company's implementation,
or the way the cable box is designed). However, I don't think that is
guaranteed to be true. My understanding is that it is possible to have
firewire restricted while cablecard is copy-freely, or vice versa. How
often that happens, I have no idea.

--
Ron Frazier