[mythtv-users] HDHR and Cablecard

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon May 2 16:12:42 UTC 2011

On 5/2/2011 12:04, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

All cablecos are required to ship CableCards, and in fact every cable
box has one installed internally.  I believe MultiStream cards are
required as well, but don't quote me on that.

>>> Does that mean Transport Streams? IE: Assuming proper channel
>>> layout, is
>>> it theoretically possible to record 12 encrypted channels off of 3
>>> muxes,
>>> using only that one tuner and CC?
>> I don't know if this is a technical limitation of the CableCard system,
>> or just one in Silicondust's design. The HDHomeRun Prime has two
>> operating modes. With no installed card, it functions just like a
>> 3-tuner HDHomeRun. Each tuner can record multiple streams through
>> multirec, up to the soft limit of 5 imposed by MythTV. With a card
>> installed, each tuner only allows a single stream, meaning you can
>> only record three shows simultaneously. Do understand that you will still
>> be replacing three cable box rentals with a much cheaper multistream card
>> rental.
> So you're saying that's a configuration option and applies to the whole
> box, at setup time.

It's not an option, in the sense you cannot turn it on and off at will.
The mode it is in is determined by whether or not you have a CableCard
slotted into the device.