[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Glitching Issues

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Thu Mar 31 16:49:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:37 PM, john.baab at gmail.com
<john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking into doing an advanced RMA with Hauppauge to see if I can
> rule out hardware issues now.  After that I'm going to rule out the
> amp, then I guess its time to blame Comcast if both of those don't
> help.

This might seem like a silly question, but did you try capturing a
couple of hours worth of video under Windows to see if you encounter
the glitch?  If you don't then you've definitely got a driver or
MythTV issue, in which case your RMA isn't really justified.

Just remember, even though doing an RMA is the cheapest/easiest thing
for *you*, it does incur a real cost for the vendor.  And things that
fall into the category of "invalid RMAs where there was nothing
actually wrong with the hardware but the user was using some
non-supported OS with broken drivers" is the probably number one
reason why such vendors want very little to do with Linux.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com