[mythtv-users] Graphics and DLNA and MythTV

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Thu Mar 31 16:19:37 UTC 2011

> Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:00:19 +1000
> From: David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:56 AM,  <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>> If it were me, I would be less concerned about what wire to run and more
>> concerned with making it easy to run in the future.
>>
>> Put conduit in wherever you think you will want to deliver media and
>> throw in some pull string to make life easier... its not the cheapest
>> route, but it makes life SOOOOO much easier when you want to upgrade to
>> use a new technology. ?Worth every penny if you ask me.

> Seconded.  During building of my house I put >1km of cat 6, HDMI and
> speaker cables through my house everywhere I thought I would need it.
> Now, just 12 months on, I wish there were a couple more cables here
> and there!

I vote for this proposition.   You can always change the computers and the
standards they use later, but wiring is hard to change.  I also suggest
you start with a smallish system and see how it works for you before
jumping with two feet.  There is a lot of personal taste to what system
works well for different people and it's hard to know what will seem
convenient to you until you've tried it.

Our house is 40 years old, but about a year after we bought it, fourteen
years ago, I ran over half a mile of cat 5 and coax cable through the
walls and attic (had two weeks off work).  Everywhere I put a wall plate,
I put at least two cat 5 jacks (RJ45) and several places I put four.
It's a smallish three bedroom house with 37 jacks (odd number because
there was one pre-existing phone jack in a stone wall I just couldn't
modify).

And I'm starting to wish there were more resources in places...  In fact a
couple of years ago I strung four more coax runs.

You may already know this, but 6P2C/6P4C (RJ-11) plugs will fit in RJ45
jacks.   So you can wire your house with Cat 6 and RJ45 jacks and then use
some of the cable runs for ethernet and others for the telephone system,
if you have a land line.   This makes the wiring very versatile, as you
need not run two separate systems for voice and data.  Just make sure
there's enough cable runs for both.

Jeff Walther