[mythtv-users] Micro Server and Low Profile Digital Tuner Card

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 15:52:11 UTC 2011

On 03/20/2011 09:59 PM, MH Acct wrote:
> Sorry, folks, that link seemed to get truncated, this one should work
> ok http://bit.ly/evEvDB AFAIK it's got a 25W max on the cards it can
> take, and as I mentioned they need to be low profile.  I suspect I
> may end up having to get a USB receiver and put a lower end GFX card
> in there to help with the workload.

The 25W maximum is for the 16x slot, and is likely there just to prevent
people from attempting to stick a high powered graphics card in the unit.

I've got two of the MicroServers and they make excellent backends. One
is fitted with a single WinTV-HVR-2200, the other with 2. I did toy with
a low profile Nvidia GT430 in the single tuner unit, and while it worked
the tight constraints meant that the thermals weren't all that great and
the cards fan spent the majority of its time running at maximum speed,
producing a less than pleasant whine. I wouldn't risk a passive card in
there, as the slot area gets almost zero airflow.

Matt