[mythtv-users] Do you build mythtv from source, and why?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Mar 29 20:23:29 UTC 2011

On Mar 29, 2011, at 3:46 PM, jedi wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 03:18:59PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Mar 29, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Frans Grotepass wrote:

>>> Is that so? The Atom that is often used in MythTV, a light weight
>>> processor with a rich instruction set with many extensions for
>>> multimedia processing should benefit by it. It is specifically in this
>>> day and age with more extensive instruction sets that sticking with
>>> just the i386 instruction set wastes the functionality.
>>
>> You're already Doing it Wrong(tm) if you're still running i386 and
>> care that much about instruction set.
>
>   There is an entire distribution based on the idea that you can't really
> trust the distribution to build your stuff with all of the right settings
> and more subtle tweaks you might want in order to get the most out of your
> own hardware.
>
>   Building your own copy of mythtv could be viewed as a milder form of
> that approach.

And there are other distributions largely produced by a company that
employs many gcc hackers, who provide the best possible options for
each and every version of gcc to the distro's build tools. There might
occasionally be tradeoffs, but 99% of the time, they only have any
significant negative impact for people running crap hardware.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com