[mythtv-users] drive configuration dilemmna

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 29 06:19:07 UTC 2011

On Tue Mar 29 16:22 , Raymond Wagner  sent:

>On 3/29/2011 00:59, sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:
>> Although the most I can perceive being used in our house is about 4 streams with
>> up to 2 of those being HD.. (1080i MPEG in Australia)... Surprisingly my 4 disc
>> RAID 5 does seem to handle about that amount of recording (highly tuned xfs
>> filesystems that defrag nightly)..
>
>You do realize that the largest single recording you will ever see is
>2-3MB/s, right?  Those four recordings are using no more than 10MB/s.
>Surely you don't need a RAID array to manage that throughput.

That was a figure I couldn't find anywhere....
The RAID configuration was primarily for space management with some level of
redundancy (hence currently RAID 5, otherwise I would have done RAID 0)...

So this completely answers my question.. I should be able to go to RAID 6,
without a worry of not having enough disk bandwidth... If a 6 disc RAID 6 can
handle 60MB/s (assuming 6 streams of HD content which will never happen) then I
am laughing...