[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 04:37:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:

> Another thing to try, which would help a lot, is to figure out what
>> commit introduced the issue in MythTV. If it was introduced at some
>> point in 0.24-fixes, then the faulty commit can be identified quite
>> easily with the help of "git bisect". The following actions would need
>> to be performed:
>>

> 1. Checkout MythTV at the first git commit in 0.24-fixes (~november
>> 2010), compile it and see if the problem exists in this version. If it
>> DOESN'T exist in this version, we now know that the issue was
>> introduced in 0.24-fixes and we can continue with git bisect to
>> identify the commit.

I may be wrong, but I believe the development group was still on subversion
in November. I do have a tree that I checked out on 11/27 (rev 27361) that I
can start with.  If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll move backwards in svn
trunk.

If I remember messages from Mr. Dean, I can move freely between .024-fixes
without worry of my database.  If I have to move further back than that, I
think I will stop.

> 2. Tell git that we want to perform a git bisect, something like:
>> git bisect start
>> git bisect bad $latest_0.24-fixes_git_revision_which_has_the_issue
>> git bisect good
>> $the_initial_0.24-fixes_git_revision_which_DOESNT_have_the_issue
>>
>> 3. Git now performs a checkout of a revision in between the two
>> revisions. Compile it and see if the problem exists or not.
>>
>> 4. Depending on the test results, give git feedback on the tested
>> revision:
>> git bisect good
>> - or -
>> git bisect bad
>>
>> Git will checkout a new version to test; test it, give feedback, etc.
>> In the end, git will spit out the commit which introduced the issue -
>> which should be the code that needs fixing.

If I get into the git tree, I will follow your suggestions here.

> But take care when judging whether a given revision is good or bad -
>> one wrong answer will identify the wrong commit in the end, so make
>> sure it's the same issue you're tracking during the testing (other
>> things, like damaged frames, can also cause "short pauses" in
>> playback, so make sure to keep an eye on the logs).

I will heed your advice.  Probably run each version several days.  Depends
on WAF, but she is pretty understanding, realizing that it is one of my
hobbies (as long as I don't destroy the library).

Thanks for the ideas.

-- Ken E.