[mythtv-users] Building a library.....chews up space!!

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Mar 28 18:12:16 UTC 2011

On 3/28/2011 14:07, DaWorm wrote:
>> RAID5 can only survive a single drive failure.
> My old array, on a 3ware hardware card, could survive a two drive
> failure, since I had one drive as a hot spare, and it did so on at
> least three occasions over its 10 year life.

No.  RAID5 with hot spare can still only survive a single drive
failure.  The only difference is that it starts rebuilding immediately,
rather than waiting for an admin to swap in a new good drive.  RAID6
actually uses that hot spare as a second parity disk, instead of just
letting it sit idle, meaning it actually can survive two drive failures.