[mythtv-users] Do you build mythtv from source, and why?

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Mar 28 17:31:37 UTC 2011

Q: Do you (re)build mythtv from source code? If so, why?

I do, for a few reasons:

(1) to get local CPU optimizations for a slight performance boost.
(2) so that I can customize a number of things differently from the defaults.
(3) to fix/workaround a number of bugs.

How about you?

My own builds have 32 local patch files applied, for various things such as:

(a) restore left/right arrow key operations similar to how 0.22 and before used
them.
(b) fix/improve various issues with the mythtbuntu theme.
(c) enlarge the EPG to have more rows/columns on my 1080p screens.
(d) show tuner name in signalmon display, and when changing channels (useful for
OTA).
(e) shorten the OSD timeouts, so they don't cover up playback for as long.

Cheers
-ml