[mythtv-users] Building a library.....chews up space!!

Tom Runner tomj.runner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 13:51:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Another Sillyname <
anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 28/03/2011, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>

> > With 2TB drives being readily available for $70 online, you're trading
> > $0.10 in hard drive capacity for $0.10 in power consumption, and you're
> > wasting a whole lot of your own and your CPU time to do so.  You may as
> > well just skip the whole process, and buy whatever storage you need to
> > store the content as-is.
>
> Right cheap, but when you have a small ITX box (like Zotac one) close to
your TV, it's not to add up external hard drives. And 2TB doesn't bring you
very far. So still transcoding is interesting, as you save roughly 50% of
the space.

> Sorry I disagree with your numbers.
>
> I take broadcast HD source material and transcode it using my own
> scripts to about 25-35% of it's original size, if you include the
> advert cuts the savings are huge.  As an example Dog Soldiers was
> shown on Channel 4 HD on Saturday night, by the time the transcode had
> finished the output 720p h264 AC3 file ran to 2.1GB from an original
> source size of 9.3GB.
>
> Transcode time for Dog Soldiers on a different backend mapped to the
> same drive mappings was 2 hours 33 minutes for a two pass transcode, I
> often run multiple transcodes simultaneously on the backend and the
> time performance hit is only about 15% per extra transcode (limit is 3
> for HD transcodes though, 6 for SD).

Would you mind sharing your settings for transcoding to 720p and you
computer specs.  I use ffmpeg to transcode and I'm very far from 2 hours to
achieve it.
Ok I'm picky regarding the quality and trying to maximise it. Is you result
close to equivalent to the source file ?

Thanks