[mythtv-users] Building a library.....chews up space!!

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Mar 28 08:21:02 UTC 2011

On 3/28/2011 01:23, Another Sillyname wrote:
> I've been building my Library now for about 5 years and it recently
> hit 7TB of storage for assorted Movies and TV Shows. Over the last 2-3
> years more and more are HD recordings transcoded down to x264 720p,
> but these are usually about 25%-35% of the original broadcast space
> requirements.

Transcoding to h264 really just isn't worth it.  The original recordings
are going to be 6-7GB/hr.  Losslessly cutting commercials out will drop
that to 4-5GB/hr, but will take all of 5 minutes of your own time, and
about as much on the backend.  On the other hand, re-compressing that to
an equivalent quality h264 video is only going to get you to around
2GB/hr, and will take around 6hr/hr on a modern quad core.

With 2TB drives being readily available for $70 online, you're trading
$0.10 in hard drive capacity for $0.10 in power consumption, and you're
wasting a whole lot of your own and your CPU time to do so.  You may as
well just skip the whole process, and buy whatever storage you need to
store the content as-is.

If GPU transcoding, or the hardware encoders on the new Sandy Bridge
processors, becomes available at some point, the balance may shift.  For
now, just buy the hard drives, and leave transcoding for support of
mobile or embedded devices with limited codec support.

> Are there any tricks and tips you use for indexing/reference?  for
> example I split my library into Movies and TV, then into alphabetic
> subgroups i.e. 0-C, D-E, F-K where each group has about 100
> subdirectories.

Subdirectories? Unless you're talking VIDEO_TS or BDMV folders, I don't
understand why you would have anything other than bare files.  Surely
there is no purpose to having a folder just to hold a single
ISO/MP4/MKV.  It's just one more thing you're going to have to click
through to get to your content.

As for subgroups, Gallery View largely eliminates the need for this.  I
have no problem navigating through my several dozen archived TV series,
and even my several hundred movies are still easily manageable.  Just
make sure to use pgup/pgdn to skip full pages at a time, rather than
having to scroll through each individual entry.

You may also want to check out the various Browse Modes, where the
structure is dynamically generated based off the stored metadata.
Beware that on larger libraries, several of these modes can take
considerable time to compile, and are not stored for subsequent viewings.