[mythtv-users] mythconverg_backup.pl --rotate 10

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 27 12:43:25 UTC 2011

On 03/27/2011 06:03 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
> I use the example in the wiki (exact copy and paste from wiki is the
> subject above) to increase the number of backups; afterall if you are
> doing an upgrade it automatically creates a new backup and I got to a
> position where I had forgotten to take a backup of the db backups
> database before starting upgrades and nearly ran out of backups so I
> would not have been able to restore to a pre-upgrade state...
>
> anyway... I have a cron job running with
>
> mythconverg_backup.pl --rotate 20
>
> but my directory has... only 9 files in it and of those 4 are from a
> failed (and aborted) upgrade to 0.24 and 5 of the files are current
> schema backups; this is dispite the cron job stating keep 20
> backups...
>
> I am on 0.23.1 and mythconverg_backup.pl --help reports v1.0.9
>
> any ideas?

mythconverg_backup.pl --rotate 20 --verbose 2>&1 | tee $HOME/backup.log

Then, after capturing the above to find out what's happening, now, make
sure someone else isn't running the script with conflicting arguments.
The best way to do so is to ensure you (and all users of the script with
the same DB backup directory) use a backuprc file with the appropriate
configuration.

echo "rotate=20" >> $HOME/.mythtv/backuprc

Then, don't specify --rotate on the command line.

Also, when MythTV calls the backup script to create the automatic
backups (when a schema version upgrade takes place), it uses the default
5-backup rotate value.  I'll change that so it disables rotate for
automatic backups (later today).  Perhaps the last automatic backup just
deleted all but 5 and you've only done 4 backups since (your DB schema
was last upgraded)?

Mike