[mythtv-users] lirc does not work on kernel 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Mar 24 19:27:33 UTC 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 1:15 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 23, 2011, at 10:22 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I was using kernel version 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.i686, but upgraded to
>>> 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.  Now I am unable to use lirc.  irw registers
>>> no key presses,  I notice that while under older kernels, I had a
>>> device named /dev/lirc0, this is no longer created under
>>> 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.  What can I do to correct this?  I can't
>>> simply roll back to the older kernel because I no longer the nvidia
>>> kmdl for that, and it is no longer on atrpms.  I am using the PVR-350
>>> receiver and a harmony remote configured to mimic the remote that came
>>> with the PVR-350.
>>
>> modprobe ir-kbd-i2c, use lirc in devinput mode, been covered on this
>> list a few times in the past month or two.
>>
>> (lirc_i2c is dead, removed from the kernel, and its not coming back)
>>

> Jarod, thanks.  I had seen info on the list about need to use
> ir-kbd-i2c; I just didn't realize it was a mandatory thing because I
> thought I read people complaining about lirc_i2c not working on
> earlier kernel versions.
>
> I am also unclear on how to use devinput mode.  Does that require me
> using something different than lircd.conf file (I saw references to a
> keymap on some of the threads).

You need the lircd.conf.devinput config provided in the lirc-remotes
sub-package, lircd set to devinput mode, and a pointer to the right
input event device.

> Basically, is there a good tutorial out there that will show me how to
> easily switch from lirc_i2c to ir-kbd-i2c?  I assume I need to make a
> change in my lirc.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/ but that file was
> likely created from me using one of your earlier guides, so I am a
> little at a loss as to what to do there.

Writing up something formally has been on ye olde todo list for a
while, but I'm kinda swamped right now.

> Fortunately, I was able to get the nvidia drivers up and running for
> the earlier kernel that still supports lirc_i2c from the rpmfusion
> repo, but I am sure it is just a matter of time before I will need to
> upgrade and get on board the ir-kbd-i2c train.

Yep. lirc_i2c is dead and gone, not coming back in Fedora, ever. Other
distros may vary.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com