[mythtv-users] lirc does not work on kernel 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Mar 24 19:24:48 UTC 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Derek & Cindi Cass wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 02:03 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Mar 23, 2011, at 10:22 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I was using kernel version 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.i686, but upgraded to
>>> 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.  Now I am unable to use lirc.  irw registers
>>> no key presses,  I notice that while under older kernels, I had a
>>> device named /dev/lirc0, this is no longer created under
>>> 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.  What can I do to correct this?  I can't
>>> simply roll back to the older kernel because I no longer the nvidia
>>> kmdl for that, and it is no longer on atrpms.  I am using the PVR-350
>>> receiver and a harmony remote configured to mimic the remote that came
>>> with the PVR-350.
>>
>> modprobe ir-kbd-i2c, use lirc in devinput mode, been covered on this
>> list a few times in the past month or two.
>>
>> (lirc_i2c is dead, removed from the kernel, and its not coming back)
>>

> Jarod, ir-kbd-i2c only applies to Hauppauge remotes.

It has nothing to do with the *remote*, its about the *receiver*.

> What about mceusb type remotes?

mceusb is a receiver driver, not a remote. Its default remote sends
rc6 signals though...

> I specifically have the Microsoft IR Keyboard, and I
> can't get anything to work at all on this same kernel.

The Microsoft IR Keyboard isn't supported by the mceusb driver. Yet.
(Its on my todo list, I just never seem to have time to work on it).

> Should I expect
> to be able to at least get the remote control keys to work?

Yes, the stock rc6 remotes work perfectly on all seven of my
mceusb-driven receivers. And as of a few minutes ago, the TiVo
remote that came with the 7th one also Just Works.

> I've tried
> the new lirc-mod-mce-0.4.0 posted in January to no avail.

I have nothing to do with lirc-mod-mce. Nobody working on it has
ever contacted me about it. I'm aware of it, and intend to use it
as a reference when working on proper keyboard support in the
upstream kernel, but right now, you're sort of going it alone there.

> [mythtv at mythbox ~]$ lsmod | grep mceusb
> mceusb                 17220  0
> rc_core                17007  9
> rc_hauppauge_new,ir_sony_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,mceusb
>
> Do I need to use devinput and maybe blacklist mceusb?  I'm guessing that
> this isn't going to work too well at this point as the lirc-mod-mce code
> ends up in the lirc default driver, but the in-kernel decoding will use
> the devinput driver.

You can't load both mceusb and lirc-mod-mce. Both will try to claim the
hardware. You have to blacklist mceusb if you want to use lirc-mod-mce,
and then I believe you just run lircd in its default mode.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com