[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Glitching Issues

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Mar 23 05:58:35 UTC 2011

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:19 PM, john.baab at gmail.com
> <john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lately, I have been seeing issues with my HD-PVR. ?In all my
>> recordings using this tuner there seem to be small glitches, which
>> then cause the OSD to lose track of recording length and reset to
>> 0:00. ?This doesn't cause any issues playing back other than the quick
>> glitch, backend logs doesn't show any hints. ?I have tried power
>> cycling the HD-PVR and the STB it is attached to, didn't help. ?I
>> already had the latest firmware in my VM so that should be flashed
>> already, is there a way to verify the firmware version? ?I'd estimate
>> that the glitch happens once, maybe twice in an hour long show.
>>
>> MythTV Version:0.24.0+fixes.20110315.785ea1b
>>
>> Anyone ever seen this kind of behavior, or have any ideas how to debug
>> it further?
>>

> A hint from dmesg:
> [   14.081030] hdpvr 1-1:1.0: untested firmware version 0xf, the
> driver might not work
>
> I'm going to try to upgrade the firmware tonight and see if that
> resolves the issue.

I have seen this with mine on rare occasions (last time happened about a
week ago, but prior to that it hadn't happened for several months).  Both
of the last couple of times it happened, the recording was poor quality
and occasionally pixellated.  I wrote it off as a cableco issue.  I
haven't updated the firmware for over a year (it's been working fine, so
why mess with it?).  I've made a couple of recordings with it since last
week, and they've been clean.

FWIW -
Bob