[mythtv-users] feeding the correct argument to sdlmame with, mythgame

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 05:19:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Giles <gbirchley at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/03/11 10:15, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:07:09 -0700
> From: scram69<scram69 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] feeding the correct argument to sdlmame with
>     mythgame
> To: Discussion about mythtv<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Message-ID:
>     <AANLkTinUfcZM7qEsVkib_2Pyww9UyoGkChHHEYfb9Csy at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> mythgame currently launches the selected player using the command
> listed in the setup page, but automatically appends
> "path/to/romfile.zip" to the command.  sdlmame, on the other hand
> wants a command like mame64 gamename, and the path for the roms is
> stored in a config file.  I guess I'm dense, but I can't figure out
> what to put on the commandline in the settings page in order to get
> sdlmame to work.  I've tried %gamename or just gamename, since these
> are in the database, but mythgame just parses them literally, e.g.:
> "mame64 %gamename "/Users/Shared/roms/asteroids.zip"".  Anyone using
> sdlmame with mythgame?
> I put a text file with the rom name in the mythgame rom launch path (I don't
> want to display my entire romset in mythgame) and this seems to launch
> sdlmame roms okay, even though the config file"mame.ini" points to a romset
> elsewhere - on launching it complains that some rom files may be missing,
> but this doesn't stop them launching (if you get my drift). However it
> relatively easy, and perhaps more elegant, to truncate the string sent to
> mame to remove the path - I do this to launch aae, which is a vector arcade
> emulator that runs under wine. My script to start aae that mythgame points
> to is as follows:
> #!/bin/bash
> qjoypad "aae" &
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/home/mythtv/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/aae'
> cd /home/mythtv/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/aae
> wine aae.exe "${1##/*/}"
> # strips out longest string between / and / ie removes the path - so no path
> will be sent to aae, just rom name
> xrandr -s 1680x1050
> qjoypad "mythtv" &
> So if you write your own script to call mame with something similar it
> should work ie. write a script that goes:
> #!/bin/bash
> mame "${1##/*/}"
> and this should strip out the path info that mythgame sends to mame. Save
> the script as start_mame (or something) and in the mythgame command
> configuration tell it to launch mame with:
> start_mame s%


Thanks - replacing the game executable with a shell script is a good
idea for a workaround for this issue.  I guess the typical mythtgame
user is running an emulator that expects the full path to the rom (in
quotes, no less) as an argument.  I'll give the script approach a try.

I cc'd the list so others might find your solution-


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list