[mythtv-users] Problem with video buffer when watching a DVD

Adam Jimerson vendion at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 03:26:43 UTC 2011

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 23 March 2011 13:32, Adam Jimerson <vendion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yea I found that out the hard way now myth won't let me use
>> "surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0" as my audio device anymore saying the device
>> is in use or invalid.  One of the reasons why I bumped it up was because
>
> Are you using pulse or is the device in use by any other applications
> by any chance?

No I am not using pulse I am using Phonon with the gstreamer backend and
VLC backend as a backup (when using both I get the same error).  This
hasn't been a problem until recently when I changed the audio buffer
size.  No the device is not in use by anything else but if I close out
of Myth and open VLC or something else sound works just fine, don't know
if this makes a difference but Myth is the only thing that I have
upmixing audio on this system.

>> I use upmixing constantly and have a couple of multi-channel audio
>> tracks.  The troubleshooting guide suggested 3072... now I guess have
>> have to troubleshoot the problem the troubleshooting has caused...
>
> Again, changing the audio buffer size has zero to do with the issue
> you are having now.

I understand that now, but now I have no option but try to fix the audio
buffer

>> Under /proc/asound/card0 I have pcm0c,pcm0p,pcm1c,pcm1p,pcm2c the only
>> one that is showing active is the pcm0p everything else is showing
>> "closed" any ideas as to what I need to do to re enable this device?
>
> you can try using speaker-test -c 6 -Dsurround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0 and see
> what it gets you. Though it's more than likely you will get the same
> error than myth is giving you

Yea it did, I try asking in the forms for Arch as to how to re enable
this device if need be.

>> vendion ~ $ mythfrontend --version
>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>> MythTV Version   : 0.24
>> MythTV Branch    : exported
>> Network Protocol : 63
>> Library API      : 0.24.20101028-1
>> QT Version       : 4.7.1
>>
>> According to Pacman the build date for the packages is Wed 10 Nov 2010
>
> This is ancient..
> You should definitely upgrade, lots of fixes went in since.

Thanks for the advice, if upgrading is my only option in possibly
resolving this I'll look into it tomorrow.  Its to late for me to
attempt to compile anything tonight.