[mythtv-users] MythGallery, or something like it

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue Mar 22 18:58:23 UTC 2011

2011/3/22 Steve <stevemyth at priorityelectronics.com>:
> When I upgraded mythbuntu on my master backend, i had to upgrade the
> frontends too because of the changes done to the database. Are you
> saying that there is a way to put 0.24 on the master backend but keep
> 0.23 on the frontends?

No, the major version needs to be the same, eg. 0.24 in both ends.

> Because a new version of myth is coming out every
> 6 months or so now, if i setup a new frontend, i have to use the same
> version of mythbuntu as the master backend (as far as I understand it).

No, you have to use the same version of MythTV - not necessarily same
version of Mythbuntu.

> So in 6 months when I get a new frontend I will not be able to put the
> latest version of ubuntu on that laptop because it will be asking for
> 0.25 and my backend has 0.23.

Yes, but that is by design. The purpose of non-LTS Ubuntu releases is
to give you the latest software, not to maintain backwards
compatibility (MythTV or other software).

If you install the latest Ubuntu LTS release (currently 10.04) on your
backend, you'll be able to upgrade your MythTV version on the backend
to whatever new version your new frontends might require, *without*
upgrading the rest of the OS, by using the Mythbuntu autobuilds. You
can stick with the same OS installation for 2 years until the next LTS
release gets out. If you install a non-LTS Ubuntu release on your
backend, for example Ubuntu 10.10, you'll be stuck at MythTV 0.23 and
0.24, as Mythbuntu only provide updates for 2 MythTV releases on each
non-LTS Ubuntu release.

> I wish there was a way to just keep the
> same version on the backend for a year or two and not worry about what
> is on the frontends.

If you're running newer versions of MythTV on the frontends anyway, it
doesn't make any sense to stick to an old version on the backend. If
you want a stable backend, freeze your OS, not your MythTV version.

Best regards
Kenni