[mythtv-users] Need advice for converting files for Android viewing

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 21:18:29 UTC 2011

After reading threads here (gossamer-threads) and elsewhere, I
installed HandBrakeCLI today on my Lucid (10.04LTS) mythbuntu system
and started converting a file as a test for hopefully viewing on my
Droid X.  The file was an OTA capture of a three hour movie and my
system is based on an Athlon 64 3200+.  This is a single core system
with 32-bit OS and apps installed.  I ran HandBrakeCLI to transcode
the file on one SATA drive and output it on a separate SATA drive.  I
only got as far as 0.27% done when the ETA got up over 11.5 hrs and
decided to look for advice, since that just wouldn't do.

Here's the command line I used:
$ HandBrakeCLI --encoder x264 --vb 1500 --aencoder faac --mixdown
stereo --arate 48 --ab 160 --width 480 --height 854 -i
/video/recordings/1073_20071111185800.mpg -o ./test_vid.m4v 2>
/dev/null

FWIW, the source video is 6.8GB of SD video recorded via Hauppauge PVR-500.

Does it really take that much time/compute power to transcode a file,
or are there options I need to change/add?
(I don't transcode the shows as I record them -- I've managed to keep
ahead of my available storage space so far ;-)

Any relevant details I didn't mention?

Any advice?

TIA,

Craig.