[mythtv-users] Request for help: Myth on-demand streaming to android device

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 18:08:58 UTC 2011

After searching for a few hours I haven't found any good solutions. I
have an idea that may or may not be a good one so I figured I'd put it
on the list and see what shook out.

Objective:
Get on-demand streaming of recordings (and maybe Videos in the future)
to android devices

video on the fly to something compatible with Android devices[1]. This
seems like the right tool for the job so unless there's a better
solution I plan on using vlc.

The current method is to use the vlc web interface and mythlink.pl.
This requires you to browse to the file you want to stream.

My plan, if it can work, is to create a script (I know python the
best) which will interface with the myth database and pull all the
relevant information and write it to an xspl playlist file[2]. Then
get vlc to load the playlist file and use vlc's built in web
interface.

Another option would be to use the lua script-able http interface of
vlc where it should be possible to create a simple web page with all
the recordings listed in it that would be easily browsed on a android
phone. On click it would start streaming the recording.

Any ideas and feedback welcome!

Thanks,
Richard M. Shaw

[1] http://traveldevel.com/vlc-stream-convert/command-line