[mythtv-users] Off topic - can someone identify this connector please, I think it's US standard.

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Mar 18 14:30:10 UTC 2011

On 18 Mar 2011, at 13:15, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Eventually I learned that the job of the apprentice is to keep quiet
> when the supposedly qualified electricians demonstrated their
> ignorance.

Or sometimes the supposedly qualified (insert whatever applies) realises they are ignorant and gets the apprentice to do all the difficult bits behind the boss' back.

I designed my first Outside Broadcast truck many years before I designed my first Outside Broadcast truck :-)

> Hmm, how off topic can you get !

This is Mythtv-users!

BTW I would say that connector in the photo is 95% going to be a push fit F connector, judging by scale, construction and purpose.
Is that better?

>> Those circular strippers are a reasonable solution I concede if you
>> are not used to such things and need 4 or 5 cables ending but for me
>> they go in the same category as Leatherman or similar multitools,
>> they are collectively the spaghetti visual basic of the electronics
>> world. :-P
>
> They have their uses - as long as you understand a) how to use them,
> and b) what their limitations are.

As with all things.

I've crafted many a crufty bash script or horrible dos batch file but my cables are all beautifully terminated.

The rear of a friend's hifi is almost a work of art, all the cables are made exactly to length and perfectly dressed into place. He was very annoyed to find he couldn't buy parts to make HDMI cables himself!

Andre