[mythtv-users] Multiple diskless frontends off one image

Jelte Veldstra jelte.veldstra at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 08:25:34 UTC 2011

> I want to add another frontend, a second diskless Ztoac ION m/b. I'm
> currently doing a diskless network boot (keeps the noise down) and would
> like to do the same again for the new frontend which is identical, in
> hardware terms anyway, but without having to maintain another 2G of image
> on the main backend/server. Disk space is not the issue, keeping things in
> sync is!!
>
> I would guess I'd need to have separate /var, /tmp and maybe /etc and
> /home directories with /usr, /sbin, /opt, /mnt and /lib as common ones.
> Does this sound reasonable and just how do I do it? (I'm sure someone here
> has done it before!!). Something has to get the mounts in the right order
> during boot so I'm hoping this is a wheel I don't have to re-invent :)

For diskless frontends, Minimyth comes highly recommended. I used to
build my own "distribution" but the maintenance took too much of my
time. I switched to MiniMyth some time ago and have no reason to turn
back. It is very configurable and has plenty of room for customisation
should you need that. Pablo the main developer is very responsive in
case you need help.

http://www.minimyth.org