[mythtv-users] Help please! Confusion - which of Atom+Ion | S775 | AM2+ | i3 | Zacate to go for?! :/

Christian Szpilfogel chriszpml at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 22:15:17 UTC 2011

On 17/03/2011 3:46 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/16/2011 08:35 PM, David Cushing wrote:
>> Firstly, greetings to all.
>> I'm on a quest to get rid of Sky and replace my Apple TV with
>> something more capable, and am in the process of building an HTPC.
>> I seem to be throwing myself into a tailspin over which platform to go
>> for though, and was hoping some of you could help me decide.
> My thoughts on the matter:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/448321#448321
>
> which boils down to, "Don't go with an underpowered
> processor--especially for a system that will be a combined
> frontend/backend or your primary frontend."

Mike,
I agree with your assessment of Atom vs a "proper" processor. The added
bonus is a snappier UI and backup plan for decoding that may not be done
by the GPU. All of my front ends are core 2 (except for one P4). The
backend is virtualized on a main server that is a core 2 quad. So that
is pretty darned power efficient considering the server has other
reasons to be on.

I think the only discontinuity I see is the upcoming multi-core ARM
based SoCs being available in more accessible packages for our use. That
would introduce very low power consumption in a highly affordable
package. Say 10W possible less for <<$200 packaged. But to be fair I
expect we won't see a lot of these for about 2 years meeting mythtv
requirements. Maybe sooner but that will depend on commercial motivations.