[mythtv-users] ITX Based Frontend Case

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 18:07:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I'm looking into building a frontend only system based on an ITX
> motherboard.  The issue I'm stumbling around with is which case to use.
>  I'd like one with provisions for an IR receiver for use with a remote
> control.  The cases that I have looked at have no provisions for this,
> except hanging an external one on the outside (not desirable).
>
> The one case that comes close is the OrigenAE M10, but it has an optical
> drive slot that I don't need, and is a bit pricey $329.00 (back
> ordered).  Other cases I've considered: Antec ISK-300, Minibox M350,
> Thermaltake SD100, Apex MI-008, Apevia X-Fit-200, Compucase ITX200A.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Jay

Jay,

I would first say, make sure your heat sink and fan clears the top of the
case.

If you are passively cooling you HTPC, then you cannot beat
the ventilation of the Mini-box M350.  I use it on all my frontends.  You
can also hide an IR receiver in the front grill.

If you want the high gloss black look or don't like the look of the M350,
then I would consider the Apex MI-008.  It will give you some extra
clearance above the CPU to draw the heat, and it does not have a much larger
footprint.

-Tom