[mythtv-users] Tuner Schedules

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Mar 17 17:38:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 01:07:41PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/16/2011 10:50 PM, Spencer Herzberg wrote:
> > Hi, is there a way to easily setup schedules for tuners? So that say
> > Tuner A can't record anything from 5pm to 1am, and Tuner B from 10am
> > to 12pm?
> >
> > My setup has my master backend in the bedroom and the hd receiver is
> > hooked up to my tv through my hdpvr. We watch tv at night and the Miss
> > doesn't like to use the Mythtv frontend for live tv (yet). If I could
> > just schedule that tuner to not be available between 5pm and 1am, that
> > would be a perfect fix until I can get her to use the mythtv frontend.
> >
> > I have tried cron jobs with mythbackend --nosched but it seems that
> > this will need to rebuild the recording schedules at the time the
> > command is called which is not quite ideal. I want the tuner to not be
> > available during certain time slots and this to be reflected in the
> > "Upcoming Recordings" displays.
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
>
> Don't do any of the things suggested in the thread, so far.  Instead
> "check out" one or more tuners from the mythbackend, so it knows that
> tuner is not available.  It will then automatically reschedule
> everything properly, according to the specified recording rule
> priorities, etc. and ensure that the showings that occur while the tuner
> is locked are marked as not recorded because the tuner was not available.
>
> You can do this via a menu command with EXECTV--see
> defaultmenu/tvmenu.xml the default menu theme for details/example (and
> will need to keep whatever program you start with EXECTV running until
> you're done with the tuner--and one program/menu/frontend per tuner).
> With this, you could actually set up the system so that the menu entry
> kicks off xawtv or tvtime or kdetv or whatever "passthrough" TV viewer
> application you like.

Spencer doesn't explicitly say so, but I suspect his wife doesn't use
any "passtrhough" application to watch live TV.  I bet she simply
switches the TV input to the STB output (via the hdpvr) and then
switches channels on the STB.  Training her to select a certain MythTV
menu item before watching live TV and then always, Always, ALWAYS
remember to exit that menu item when done might adversely affect the
WAF.