[mythtv-users] MythGallery, or something like it

Steve stevemyth at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Mar 17 15:37:30 UTC 2011

On 03/16/2011 06:15 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I have a spare computer that I have in my kitchen-dining area that runs the
> Fedora 14 LXDE spin. Right now I use it for displaying a recipe while I
> cook. Once I'm done with the recipe, I'd like to use MythGallery or
> something like it for displaying a slideshow. I like MythGallery on my
> BE/FE because it can read my large collection of 50k+ images from all the
> directories beneath a "root" directory. I've looked for an alternative but
> they all seem to only read from a single directory and I have waaay too
> many images to even fake that.
>
> Is there something better/lighter than MythGallery or am I better off just
> using MythGallery? I don't need the other Myth stuff.

Yes, you can use a program called feh

http://linux.die.net/man/1/feh

It is a great slideshow program, and is very quick and light on
resources. Will run even on a pentium 1 just fine.

The only thing it does not do is have nice transitions. But it never
crashes (that's more than I can say for mythgallery). I have a digital
picture frame setup and have tried to use xbmc and mythgallery and both
crash during slideshows. Feh never fails. Also, you can set it up pretty
easily via cron jobs so that it comes on and off whenever you like, or
with a double click of an icon on the desktop, etc.

Let me know if you need help setting it up.
-Steve