[mythtv-users] Would this video card work in HDMI?

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Thu Mar 17 02:06:51 UTC 2011

On 03/16/2011 08:51 PM, Bobby Gill wrote:
> I am planning on getting an LCD TV, 5.1 system and receiver, and am
> trying to solve how I'll be connecting it all.
>
> I currently have this sound card:
> http://www.buildorbuy.org/images/revo-rotated.jpg
>
> I was planning on connecting that to the receiver via optical, but
> then randomly checking I realized I could get one of these newer video
> cards instead:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121397&cm_re=nvidia_430-_-14-121-397-_-Product
> <http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121397&cm_re=nvidia_430-_-14-121-397-_-Product>
>
> What's the state of affairs with HDMI sound in linux/alsa, would it
> make sense to get this type of card and just connect via HDMI for
> video+sound?

I just completed a frontend only set-up, and I used a nvidia (actually a
MSI) I got from Newegg a few months ago for $10.00 after rebate (it was
a black Friday special).. I was surprised when I plugged in the hdmi
cable and it just worked..I did have to go into the nvidia setup and
adjust for over scan,but the sound was just fine.... I would say go for
it...