[mythtv-users] HDPVR Recoridng profiles?

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 23:48:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to play with the bitrates for recording with my HDPVR, I went
> to the recording profiles for it and see that none are set, so I
> assume my system is using some "default"?
>
> Anyway, I created a new one, I called it "Default".
> I notice that there are two "codec"s
>
> one is just MPEG-4, and has a single bitrate setting along with min
> and max quality settings and a bunch of other options.
>
> the other says "mpeg-4 AVC Hardware encoder" and has Avg and Max
> bitrate settings for "low", "medium", and "high" resolution. (I assume
> 480i/p, 720p, 1080i)
>
> does anyone know of the differences between the two?
>
> thanks!
>
> --
> Steve

 "mpeg-4 AVC Hardware encoder" is the one you want to control the HD-PVR

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HDPVR#Steps_to_Add_the_HD-PVR_as_a_Capture_Device_in_MythTV_.280.22_or_later.29
says
You can set the bitrate for the HD-PVR by going into Recording
Profiles, and editing the profiles associated with HD-PVR encoders.
These recording profiles have bitrate settings for low (480i/p),
medium (720p), and high (1080i) resolution material, allowing you to
set appropriate bitrates based upon the resolution of the material. If
the max bitrate is set lower than the average bitrate, the result is
CBR (Constant Bit Rate) at the rate specified by the average slider.
If you want VBR (Variable Bit Rate), set the max slider to maximum,
and then use the average slider to achieve the desired bitrate.

Dave