[mythtv-users] Raid5 with XFS

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 21:32:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Fedor Pikus <fpikus at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> large
>>> unusable.
>>>  From a short test, ext4 still is considerable slower on that as XFS. I
>>> use xfs on software-raid which didn't ever give me troubles.
>>> >

>> I've been running XFS on SW raid5 since 2005.  No problems here.  Latest
>> video array is 6 TB.
>>

> I've had XFS on software raid5 and raid6 for several years as well, the
> largest is 8TB but it's a new array, the 6TB one before that has several
> years on it. Never any problems with the file system.
>
> --
> Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
> http://www.pikus.net
> http://wild-light.com

I have a 3 year old mdadm RAID 5 array with XFS using the
latest version Ubuntu over the years.  It started with 3 750gb drives in
2008, and now it's up to 6 (3.5 TB).  I had some unusual hardware failures
in the early days, but it was due to lack of cooling.  Through it all I
haven't lost any data.  Every time I get down to 500GB free, I just add a
drive.  I even had to add a daughter card to get more SATA slots, and it
grew and performs just fine across that as well.  For what I'm doing, it
works well.  If I were to build it today, I would look into some sort of NAS
box (like a DROBO or something), but I'm not sure if I'd change now.