[mythtv-users] Fast Quiet Sata drive?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 19:51:59 UTC 2011

> Also, I have to think that a 2.5" hard drive designed for rough
> service in a laptop will outlast a 3.5" when the 2.5" isn't actually
> seeing rough service in a laptop.

There are a number of new(er) 2.5" drives designed for the
"enterprise" market which are designed for 24/7 constant
operation.  "Laptop" drives are not.  Their target is (mostly)
off or sleep mode.

I suspect "laptop" qualified drives have gotten better, but
a number of years ago, a large router vendor used laptop
2.5" drives in their products due to form factor/capacity/
performance, and found that the drives all died after a few
years because laptop drives really were not designed for
24/7 operation.  That was an expensive "lesson learned"
for the vendor.

Gary