[mythtv-users] Ideas for family proofing the mythbox

Zooka mythtv at fitzy.org
Wed Mar 16 00:21:03 UTC 2011

I'm looking for ways on how you have family proofed and made more
friendly your mythbox for the non-techie kids or spouse.

Here's what I have done so far on my combined FE/BE;

- UPS to reduce power issues
- Auto power up if UPS runs out
- Disable power/reboot case buttons
- run mythfrontend in a loop so if it crashes it will restart automatically
- changed desktop background image to an informative message saying
'congratulations, you crashed the mythbox.. please wait while it restarts'
- change Main Menu 'exit' button to something that isn't on the remote
- parental levels set
- setup password set
- rewrote menu theme for easier navigation with regards to how we use
the mythbox
- any important events get emailed to me (mythfilldatabase, boot disk
space over 90% full, frontend crash, etc..)
- actually teach them how to do things such as scheduling, ad skipping,
music playing, etc..

That's all I can think of for now.  I look forward to hearing what you
have implemented.

Regards,
Zooka.