[mythtv-users] dual tuner setup

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 15 00:47:14 UTC 2011

On 14/03/2011, tim draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
> @another sillyname - no, just this card. (1 card, dual tuner) & mythtv 0.24
> (mythbuntu 10.10 x86)
>
> @raymond - maybe this is where im going wrong. i dont have the details
> infront of me, but each tuner has it's own video source and own channel scan
> data. so mythtv isnt intelligent enough to see that tuner1 is inuse, so it
> will default to tuner2; i have to manually switch? to me that seems an big
> flaw in an media center enviroment.
> i'll re-do my tuning setup tonight so i have 1 video source (this is
> something i'd expect to see in the documentation/wiki.. maybe i'll edit the
> wiki to cover this once i work it out for myself. there seemed to be a bit
> of info about different content on tuners or single tuner setups, but i
> skipped through both as neither applied to me.
>
> thanks for the info - being new to mythtv it highly likely i've not set it
> up correctly.
> Tim
>

> On 14 March 2011 00:08, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/13/2011 18:29, tim draper wrote:
>> > the card is a TBS6981 dual DVB-S2 card, and receives the same channels
>> > from both inputs. both inputs are setup and detect channels. channel
>> > editor/mythweb shows everything twice so things appear to be working ok.
>>
>> If that is the case, then you screwed up.  If both inputs receive the
>> same list of channels, they should be sharing a single Video Source, and
>> you should have only scanned for channels once.
>>
>> > so i set a recording going, and it sucessfully records. however, while
>> > this recording is inprogress i can only switch between recording on
>> > the same multiplex.
>> > i obviously havent set something up right, but i cant find any
>> > documentation on how to set this up.
>>
>> No, this is expected behavior.  MythTV allows simultaneous recording on
>> a single tuner through the use of 'virtual tuners'.  By default, MythTV
>> will set up two per digital tuner.  If your LiveTV session grabbed a
>> virtual tuner already in use by a scheduled recording, that virtual
>> tuner will not be able to force the physical tuner off that multiplex,
>> as it would disrupt the existing recording.  You will have to switch
>> tuner cards, either through the 'm' menu, or though the key binding.

OK Here's my suggestion.......

shut down the mythbackend

from the 'normal' user account run mythtv-setup

In Capture Cards  -->  delete all the cards in the system

In Video Sources  -->  delete all the video sources

exit from mythtv-setup

start the mythbackend

run mythfilldatabase  wait for it to finish

stop the backend

from the 'normal' user account run mythtv-setup

In Capture Cards -->  New Capture Card -->  Select DVB on the drop
menu  -->  Select the first card (should be something like
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)  --> Recording Options --> Set the
maximum recordings for 2 --> esc back to previous menu -->  Make sure
you select LNB as the disecq type (I can't tell you the exact option
for this as I'm still running .23fixes).  --> Finish

This should give you a card in the list

repeat the process for /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0

You now have 2 physical tuners set up to support two recordings per
tuner so a maximum of 4 recordings (assuming the broadcast is on the
same mux).

esc back to previous menu and choose Video Sources  -->  New Video
Source  --> Call it SatSource  -->  Listing grabber EIT Only  -->
Finish

esc back to the previous menu --> Input Connections  -->  Pick the
first card on the list  -->  Call it Sat1  -->  Choose SatSource as
the Video Source  -->  Scan for Channels  -->  Choose the options
depending on your location and satellite you're looking at - Let the
scan run  --> When it's finished esc back and choose the second card
on the list -->  Repeat the process EXCEPT DON'T DO THE SCAN....it'll
get the channels table from the previous scan via the SatSource Video
Source you previously specified.

esc back out of menu....

make sure both tuners have SatSource after the name now.

esc out

start the backend

mythfilldatabase

report back here please..