[mythtv-users] Build for dual HD recordings - also is PSU enough/too much

Digital Hit Entertainment dhenews at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:03:22 UTC 2011

> You need to consider the worst case situation of recording 2 HD shows concurrently, during playback of another HD show while maybe also doing advert detection/transcoding in the background and remaining responsive to other activity such as input from a remote and/or slave frontends.
> One harddrive isn't going to cut it. It will definately be the bottleneck.
> My Mythbox has 3 HDs (not raided):
> The system and mythtv apps on an old/fairly slow 100GB HD. A fast 1TB HD for TV recordings only, and a 3TB v.large but slow (green) HD for static media like ripped DVDs/Blu-rays and music.
> Several people have said here that you need a fast drive for your OS drive. I totally disagree as other than at bootup, its really not doing much if your recordings are going to another drive.
>
> If you buy just one more drive, make sure its fast and use it for the TV recordings only. thats the drive that has to deal with high-bandwidth I/O over a long duration especially if you're recording multiple HD streams while potentially playing back another.

Interesting point.

I actually don't have much of a DVD collection, so if I'm splitting to two drives, my storage drive would most likely just be recorded TV shows. So that should be a fast drive too then?

Or am I missing something in the "workflow" of MythTV? Or when people talk about static media drives are they talking mostly ripped DVDs and music. That probably won't be my immediate usage. Just wondering if I should ditch the green 1.5 TB for a faster one.