[mythtv-users] Debian, lirc and 2.6.32

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Mar 14 13:47:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:38 AM, Michael Papet <mpapet at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On the good advice of Eric, I pulled the lirc code from Debian's svn that is supposed to work with 2.6.32. (Debian Squeeze)

Sorry, there seems to have been a miscommunication.  The svn code is
supposed to work with Debian Sid, not Squeeze.

> After configuring the build for a hauppauge TV cards, it builds and installs just fine.  However no device appears in /dev.  No /dev/lirc, /dev/lirc/0...

That part is handled not by LIRC, but the kernel.  In current kernels
(I'm not sure starting when but definitely in 2.6.36 and later) ir
support is included in the kernel without any additional modules.  The
newer LIRC user space code is designed to work with that.  Debian Sid
is on 2.6.37 as of the last time I checked.

Eric