[mythtv-users] WD15EARS WD Green drives

Federico Ferri federico.ferri at yahoo.it
Mon Mar 14 09:25:04 UTC 2011

In data lunedì 14 marzo 2011 07:14:29, Digital Hit Entertainment ha scritto:
: >
> > Those drives have 4K sectors, so just make sure you start your
> > partitions on an even multiple of 8 sectors (the drive lies to the OS
> > and reports that it has 512-byte sectors. 4096/512 is 8), and you're
> > good to go. If you don't, performance will suck.
>
> Thanks. Is there a tutorial/article on this you could recommend? (Still sorta new to Linux systems)

look here:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5655/~/how-to-install-a-wd-advanced-format-drive-on-a-non-windows-operating-system

I have 2 Caviar Green a WD10EADS and a WD10EARS
I bought the second when i got problem with WD10EADS and after installed the second i search over internet and found that they must be partitioned in a good way and even if ubuntu should do during installation, it doesn't.

My BIG problems was not about performance (maybe i can't see it viewing movies, i should play games...), but both of them lost the "partition table". (the first after 6 months, the second after 1 month...). It was very difficult to recover a XFS partition especially because i wrongly make an extended partition....

Now i follow the instruction, i backed up the partition table (sfdisk -d /dev/sda > backup-sda.sf) and the disk is very good (since 2 month...), extremely silent and low power.
By the way....I have a RAID 1 partition for the "Important recordings", very easy to do with mdadm....

Bye, Federico