[mythtv-users] Build for dual HD recordings - also is PSU enough/too much

Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Mar 13 03:52:58 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-12, at 4:02, Dan Smith <mrplowdan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Digital Hit Entertainment
> <dhenews at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Looking to build a MythTV combined frontend/backend to ditch the cable and go with OTA HDTV. Want to be able to duplicate our current cable PVR which enables recording two HD programs while watching another recorded one.
>>
>> How's this line up? Realize it's not an HTPC case, but it's a small tower and a good price.
>> Still need to find a good IR remote that works well with MythTV. Looking
>>  to buy in the next week or so.
>>

>> I'm not 100% sure about whether the PSU is strong enough (or too much) so really need
>> input there. (one day it'd be great if sales sites had enough info
>> about components in their database to make PSU suggestions. :) )
>>

>> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P mATX AM2+
>>
>> CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 3.0GHZ 2MB L2 Cache 65W Retail Box
>>
>> Memory: G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK PC2-8500 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel
>>
>> HD: Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 32MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM
>>
>> Case: Coolermaster Elite 342 Black M-ATX Mid Tower Case 2X5.25 5X3.5INT 1X3.5EXT No PSU
>>
>> PSU: Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan
>>
>> DVD: Liteon IHAS124 24X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM
>>
>> Video: ASUS GeForce GT 430 700MHZ 1GB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E DVI VGA HDMI Low Profile Video Card
>>
>> TV Tuner: HD HOMERUN Dual Tuner
>>

>> Thanks and have a great weekend.

> That 430W will be plenty, a 300W would be enough even, but you can't
> really have too big of a PSU. The PSU will only use the wattage the
> motherboard/components are pulling. The only things I worry about with
> a PSU is the efficiency and noise. HDHR Dual is the way to go for OTA,
> my single tuner (just starting out with OTA myself) is in the mail.

For a number of reasons you should consider using a second small harddrive for the OS. You really need a number of partitions with quite different characteristics and it is best to separate the database and video streams to different drives.
If you have 2 drives, and cron a backup of your mythconverg database to the video drive every night, that single drive can resurrect your entire system on different hardware if your OS drive dies. The Scout motto is 'Be Prepared'.
Lots about this in the archive.
Geoff