[mythtv-users] crackling audio in mythvideo but not mplayer

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 20:49:46 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Daniel Herrmann
<daniel.herrmann1 at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 12.03.2011 20:52, Matt Garman wrote:
>> In my video collection, some videos play with "crackling" audio.  It's
>> like the normal audio track is there, but muted, and a bunch of static
>> makes the audio quite garbled.
>>
>> However, if I view the same videos in mplayer, the sound is perfect.
> Which version of mythtv you are using? There were some changes in
> sound-system the last time.
>> It seems to be only some bluray movies that have this problem.  My
>> suspicion is that mythtv's internal player doesn't pass this sound to
>> my audio device (Chaintech AV-710) correctly.
>
> Can you check if those movies have a dts track? I had this problem
> before, but only with movies containing high-bitrate dts streams

What's a good way to determine if they contain a DTS track?  On one of
the offending files, I used "midentify", which (among other things),
gave this:

ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=8193

A quick google search didn't explicitly confirm that audio format 8193
is DTS, but skimming over the results suggests it is.  Can anyone
confirm this?

> If so, it helped for me to use the version from JYA.

Can you elaborate?  What is JYA?  Are you talking about this:
http://avenard.com/media/Home.html

Looks like he has Ubuntu packages; I'm on Arch Linux.

Is there any way to configure how MythVideo selects audio tracks?  I
only have a two-channel sound system.  I seem to recall there are
options in MythTV to downmix multi-channel audio to two channel.
Perhaps this is broken?

Thanks again,
Matt