[mythtv-users] No sound under MythBrowser

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 20:42:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, 1.41421 at gmail.com wrote:

> I am running MythTV 0.24 on a box connected directly to my TV through an HDMI cable. With this setup I can play all sorts of video files without any problems,
> both video and sound (well, MythFrontend crashes every so often for no good reason, but that's another story.) I recently downloaded the latest Flash plugin for
> Mozilla and after installing it I can now connect to sites like YouTube and play videos in the browser under MythBrowser. However, whereas such video material
> plays fine I get no sound at all. MythBrowser does not seem to have any sound configuration settings, so I am a bit at a loss here. Any ideas?

I suspect that ALSA's default output device on your machine is its analogue
output. What happens if you try running a regular browser with the Flash
plugin installed? Do you hear sound if you connect speakers/headphones
directly to the analogue output of your machine?

If I'm right, then you probably want to use a $HOME/.asoundrc (or
/etc/asound.conf to do it system-wide rather than for just one user) to
override the default output.  Something like:

pcm.!default {
       type plug
       slave.pcm {
               type hw
               card 0
               device 3
       }
  }

(assuming your HDMI output is device 3).

I find ALSA configuration quite complex and the documentation relatively
poor, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone chips in with a better
alternative for .asoundrc.

HTH,
Alex