[mythtv-users] Any advantage going to 64 bit?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 19:24:37 UTC 2011

> I standardized all my diskless FE on ION and user experience is noticeably
> better with 64bits build (whole system is rebuild to 64bit).

I have to wonder if the poorer performance on the "32-bit" is more a
result of using binaries compiled with generic i686 flags (or worse,
i586). Recompiling as 32-bit with Atom-specific compiler optimizations
enabled might well see approximately the same benefit as 64-bit.

Personally, unless I have software that wants to allocate more than
4GB at once, I consider 64-bit an unnecessary hassle. Unless my distro
moves to 64-bit by default (at which point someone else went through
all the hassle for me), I'll be sticking with 32-bit for the
forseeable future -- even on a 4GB+ machine (PAE allows up to 64GB to
be used by a 32-bit OS).