[mythtv-users] Any advantage going to 64 bit?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Mar 11 17:03:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just wondering, but why did you install a 32 bit version of Linux on 64 bit hardware in the first place?
>
> My guess is some distros still call 64 bit a beta or unstable
> release..

The other way to end up in this position is to take an existing 32-bit
system and replace the motherboard/CPU with a 64-bit replacement
without reinstalling the operating system.  It's often not worth the
hassle of doing a re-install.  I'm still running 32-bit Debian on my
main workstation at home.  It hasn't had a full reinstall since
sometime around 1996.

Eric