[mythtv-users] Any advantage going to 64 bit?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 00:37:09 UTC 2011

Hi list,

My combined FE/BE uses a Sempron 140 CPU, which I understand is
capable of 64 bit computing.  I believe I am running it with a 32 bit
kernel, which I base off the following (but I could be wrong):
[root at localhost ~]# uname -r
2.6.35.10-74.fc14.i686
[root at localhost ~]# uname -m
i686

Is there an advantage to me running in 64 bit?  If so, what would I
need to do to accomplish this (on a Fedora 14 system using yum with
atrpms as my primary install method)?  Is it as simple as yum install
<correct kernel> and then yum update to get all my programs upgraded
to the 64 bit versions as appropriate?

Thanks