[mythtv-users] tearing my hair out with audio over hdmi

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Thu Mar 10 21:14:10 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-10, at 11:21 AM, Matt Harrison wrote:

> I Managed to get the userspace alsa upgraded to
> 1.0.24 but I cannot find a kernel that provides that version

No need to find such a kernel, you can do what I did which was to grab 1.0.24 from the alsa site and:

> I built the drivers manually, pulled all the snd-*ko files out of /lib/modules/$(uname -r), installed the new stuff, ran depmod and rebooted.

that gives me a stable debian kernel with alsa on the wild side. My impression is the kernel audio sources are simply a wholesale copy of whatever alsa release is current when they freeze a particular version so it's not too crazy to rip out the old drivers and replace with new ones.

To remove the old drivers I did something like:

	cd /lib/modules
	zip -m oldSnd $(find $(uname -r) -name 'snd-*.ko')

so you can easily put things back if it doesn't work out.

- George