[mythtv-users] Comcast STB upgrade breaks firewire channel changing

Christian Szpilfogel chriszpml at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:57:54 UTC 2011

On 09/03/2011 6:06 AM, Nasa wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure "mythchanger -f" with either 2 or 4 should work for
>> the
>> SA3250. It will not need any code changes as the -f option forces the
>> protocol choice.
>>
>> By chance did your cableco move to 4 digit channels?
>>
> I really wish that were the case, but no.  And no, the "-f" option (with either
> 2 or 4) doesn't work for me :{

It is worth trying all options from 1 to 7. Even though it looks like
each encoding is for a different box, the reality is that these are all
permutations allowed within the standard. If none of these work then
there is a permutation missing.

What mythchanger does is use the PANEL commands for an STB. This in
effect is like pressing the buttons on a remote or front panel of the
STB. Sometimes you can send the digits in a block (usually optional) but
sometimes they have to be sent button by button. Sometimes the STB is
looking for key press down and in others key press release. And in some
cases like some SA boxes it is looking for a key press down followed by
a key press release. The sequence of buttons required to change the
channel should be the as on your remote. So if you need to press enter
at the end then you will also need to do this via firewire (say using
stb-command). The protocol for this has not been more complicated than
this in my experience.

You can play with the code and try different options based on the
examples you see. The first thing to note is try any digits with various
options and see if the STB is responding at all.