[mythtv-users] mceusb as an input device

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Mar 9 18:50:52 UTC 2011

On Mar 9, 2011, at 11:50 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2011, at 11:01 PM, Harry Orenstein wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, March 05, 2011 10:53:48 pm Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> So does that thing actually come with a TiVo remote? The in-kernel driver
>>> is only set up to handle the MCE remotes, its likely the TiVo remote uses
>>> different signaling. Judging from TiVo lircd.conf's out there, that's the
>>> case. Not sure exactly what it uses, and/or if the protocol is known by
>>> the in-kernel decoders. Worst-case, you should be able to use it the same
>>> old /dev/lirc0 way though.
>>>
>> The remote seems to really be a TiVo remote.  It even has the key with the
>> little TiVo guy and the thumb keys.
>
> Okay, good to know. Where did you get that kit from? I might be
> interested in picking one up myself (or just getting a TiVo
> remote somewhere) so we can have that bundle Just Work(tm) out of
> the box too.

Never mind, found it via Amazon for $50 for the entire bundle,
including the remote, transceiver, a Hauppauge HVR-950Q and the
TiVo software. I have no actual *use* for any of it, beyond the
fun of making it work, but I went ahead and ordered it. Not a
bad deal for everything you get. Looks like its just a modified
NEC protocol (probably doing something similar to what Apple
does with their modified NEC proto), so adding proper support
shouldn't be terribly hard.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com