[mythtv-users] Digital Signal decoder

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Mar 10 02:43:48 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Richard Morton" <richard.e.morton at gmail.com>

> On 9 March 2011 21:49, <quecumber256 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > What is 'od' and is it avaliable in Open source form. I have a
> > feeling I
> > might have to do some custom tweaks to get exactly what I need.
>
> od; I hadnt heard of it either but a google search for "linux od"
> found this as the top result.
> http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_od.htm

od is *so* 1970s.  ;-)

These days, the common tool is hexdump(1).

But if you were trying to look at an MPEG stream with it, you'd go
nuts; they tend to hundreds of megabytes.

If it were going to give you any practical advantage (it won't, for
reasons I've explained in another reply), I'd point out that there are
MPEG analyzer software packages, and that -- if you were motivated enough --
you might be able to find a way to do it with wireshark.

Cheers,
-- jra