[mythtv-users] Using Handbrake to transcode recordings to an iPhone

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Thu Mar 10 01:49:38 UTC 2011

On 10 March 2011 04:51, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I found a thread yesterday that discussed this, so I thought I'd give it
> > a try since I just got a Verizon iPhone, and thought it would be neat to
> > bring a few recordings with me to watch during my lunch break at work.
> > I installed Handbrake on my backend, and ran the following command:
> >
> > ./HandbrakeCLI -i <file> -o <file>.mp4 --preset="iPhone & iPod Touch"
> >
> > That created an mp4 file that I got down to my Windows box.  When I try
> > to use iTunes to put it on to my iPhone,  I get an error saying that the
> > file could not be imported since it cannot be played on the iPhone
> > (something like that; I'm paraphrasing).
> >
> > Has anyone had much luck or success getting recordings transcoded for,
> > and on to, an iPhone?  Specifically an iPhone 4?  The iPhone OS version
> > is 4.2.6 if that matters.  I also have it jail-broken too.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Harry
> >
> Another option for the iPhone is to run AirVideo Server on the backend
> and convert on the fly.  It uses ffmpeg to convert, and I've had very
> good results streaming to remote locations. I run a nightly
> mythrename.pl to give my shows human-readable names for the iPhone.
> Of course, this means you will need to be near a wifi hotspot, as it
> will quickly send you over the limit for your 3G data allotment...
> Here's a link:
>
> http://wiki.birth-online.de/know-how/hardware/apple-iphone/airvideo-server-linux

I'm using the following as a userjob running handbrake-cli version 0.9.4

/usr/bin/HandBrakeCLI -i "%DIR%"/"%FILE%" -o
/storage/recordings/"%FILE%".mp4 --preset="iPhone & iPod Touch"

works fine you could change the output to "%TITLE"-"%SUBTITLE".mp4 or
something along those lines if you wanted real names

Cheers,

Anthony