[mythtv-users] UPnP Clients: MediaMVP HD or "New" AppleTV

Lawrence Houston mythtv at greenfield.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 9 23:02:03 UTC 2011

Devin:

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Lawrence Houston
>>
>>         What should I try next???
>
> Hi Lawrence,
>
> Sorry for the delayed response, I've been traveling on business.
>
> Sounds a bit like you might have a network bandwidth issue.  Are all
> the hops between the MediaMVP-HD and the MythTV server 10/100 or
> better?  Also, does the video just become choppy, or does it stop
> entirely?  If it stops entirely, does the back button on the remote
> successfully drop you back to the menu?

Both the MediaMVP-HD and the MythTV Backend are Directly connected to the
same 16 Port 10/100 Switch.  Telnetting into the MediaMVP-HD I can see the
Kernel is reporting 100 Full-Duplex:

    eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

The Video stops completely within a few Frame, the Audio remains Choppy
and it "Intermittent" for a while after that.  Curiously the MediaMVP-HD
is unable to "Resume" past this 10 Second "Wall"???

> What type of video is this?  Are they livetv MPEG2 recordings, or some
> other video hosted via MythVideo (such as Bluray rips)?

My MythTV Backend has a pair of Hauppauge HVR-1600 Tuner Cards which use
Hardware Encoding to generate MPEG2 Files and my understanding was the
MythTV Backend simply records those Video Streams directly to the Disk...

> It might also be worthwhile to copy one of the videos to a USB stick
> and see if it still happens when playing off of USB, which will allow
> us to rule out whether there is something strange about the video
> itself, or whether we really are talking about some sort of uPNP or
> networking issue.

Copied a 1 Hour Show (2.2 GB) onto a 8 GB Kingston DataTraveller and I
observed the same 10 Second "Wall" when playing from the USB Stick!!!

> The more detail I can get on the nature of the problem, the better
> chance I will have of being able to identify the issue.

Does that suggest the HVR-1600 is Encoding MPEG2 Files which the
MediaMVP-HD is unable to Play past the first 10 Seconds???  If so that
could be a "Problem" since those are Hardware Encoders on the HVR-1600
Tuner Cards (one is a Model 1183 and one is a Model 1181) and I doubt
there is little or no Tweaking Possible???

Lawrence Houston  --  (mythtv at greenfield.dyndns.org)