[mythtv-users] tearing my hair out with audio over hdmi

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 16:38:09 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-09, at 11:10 AM, Matt Harrison wrote:

> Really hoping someone here has an idea so I can get my mythtv box going
> properly :)

I recently had different but equally mysterious problems trying to get audio out over hdmi on an nVidia card. Eventually I upgraded the drivers to 1.0.25 and everything magically worked although the previous 1.0.24 drivers weren't coughing up errors. Oh, I also had to direct myth to device hw:0,9. 0,3 and 0,7 were also present but using them resulted in silence. All three looked the same from aplay -l so I don't know what the numbers relate to.

You can check your current drivers version with cat /proc/asound/version. I left the other alsa components at their installed version (debian stable so they're newish), it was only the drivers that needed updating.

- George