[mythtv-users] New Imon Kernel Driver

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Mar 9 15:56:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> [*] to the best of my knowledge, imon hardware only supports very
> specific IR signals, but maybe your light switch remote just happens
> to use signaling that is imon-compatible.

That's true for newer hardware, but the original imon hardware,
supported by the old driver, didn't have an onboard decoder, doing
this in software instead (resulting in the ability to receive more
types of codes).  The older imon lirc driver supported this, but I
don't think the new one does.  You have this comment in the newer
driver:

/*
 * USB Device ID for iMON USB Control Boards
 *
 * The Windows drivers contain 6 different inf files, more or less one for
 * each new device until the 0x0034-0x0046 devices, which all use the same
 * driver. Some of the devices in the 34-46 range haven't been definitively
 * identified yet. Early devices have either a TriGem Computer, Inc. or a
 * Samsung vendor ID (0x0aa8 and 0x04e8 respectively), while all later
 * devices use the SoundGraph vendor ID (0x15c2). This driver only supports
 * the ffdc and later devices, which do onboard decoding.
 */

If you look back at e.g. lirc 0.8.3 you can see there's a variable
called ir_onboard_decode in the imon context to indicate whether that
chip does the decoding in hardware or software.

Eric